South Australian brewers will fly home with a swag of awards after the Independent Brewers Associations awards ceremony last night in Sydney. The Mismatch Brewing team were beaming in particular, taking out the ‘Best Beer in Show’ for their Munich Helles style lager. Brewer Owen Lyons was at the ceremony to accept the award and was a little taken aback in his acceptance speech. As well as congratulating his team, he also thanked the Mismatch team for taking him on as a brewer and giving him the chance to make beer. Their lager also took out the ‘Best Lager in Show’ award.
Mismatch began their journey as contract brewers before creating their own facility in Naire, Adelaide Hills. The facility is still not complete but their beer is now being brewed there. Their lager wasn’t the only beer to be successful either, with the Mismatch Pale Ale being awarded a gold medal.
The other brewery to collect some gold is the Wheaty Brewing Corps, last years’ Small Brewery Champion. Their Corps Promise Pale Ale and Black Lime Gose were two beers that were given the tick of approval from the judges.
Several other SA brewing companies entered their beers to be judged and given feedback on, with some outstanding results.
- Wheaty Brewing Corps: Corps Promise
- Wheaty Brewing Corps: Black Lime Gose
- Mismatch Brewing: Pale Ale
- Mismatch Brewing: Lager
- Barossa Valley: Hop Heaven
- Barossa Valley: Chocolate Coffee Stout
- Barossa Valley: Aussie Pale Ale
- Barossa Valley: Campfire Session Ale
- Barossa Valley: Canis Major
- Beer Garden: SALTY Session Ale
- Woolshed: Summer Ale
- Woolshed: Firehouse Coffee Stout
- Woolshed: Judas the Dark
- Woolshed: Rivertime Session Ale
- Woolshed: The Bunyip
- Prancing Pony: Black Ale
- Mismatch Brewing: Chocolate Stout
- Wheaty Brewing Corps: Whey Puft
- Lobethal Bierhaus: Bohemian Philsner
All the award recipients can be found here http://iba.org.au/awards/.
A massive congratulations to the Mismatch crew for their huge win and well done to all the South Australian breweries that experienced success at these awards.